See also

Louisa WILSON (c. 1862-1948)

1. Louisa WILSON, daughter of John WILSON of Seacroft Hall, co. Yorks (1808-1891) and Anna Maria Isabella MACLEOD ( -1903), was born circa 1862 in France. She died in 1948.

Second Generation

2. John WILSON of Seacroft Hall, co. Yorks, son of John WILSON and Martha BASSETT, was born on 1 January 1808. He married Anna Maria Isabella MACLEOD on 13 April 1846. He died on 29 January 1891.

 

John Wilson was born in 1808 and died at Seacroft Hall on 29th January 1891. He was educated at Rugby School and Trinity College, Cambridge and went on to become a JP for the West Riding of Yorkshire and a Captain in the 2nd West Yorkshire Militia. The Seacroft estate was bought by John Wilson Snr, of Camp Hall, Water Lane (1731-1821).

 

3. Anna Maria Isabella MACLEOD, daughter of Roderick MACLEOD of Cadboll, co. Ross, MP, died on 26 December 1903. She and John WILSON had the following children:

 

Roderick John WILSON (1847-1881). Roderick was born on 15 April 1847. He died on 3 June 1881.

Darcy Bruce WILSON (1851-1936). Darcy was born on 17 June 1851 in Ledbury, Worcestershire. He died in 1936.

Arthur Henry WILSON (1853- ). Arthur was born on 24 April 1853. He married Alice Louisa WAINWRIGHT on 12 November 1885.

Constance WILSON ( -1938). Constance died on 1 December 1938.

1

Louisa WILSON (c. 1862-1948)

Third Generation

4. John WILSON, son of John WILSON and Sarah LUCAS, was born on 24 February 1767. He appeared in the census. He celebrated his Bar Mitzvah. He married Martha BASSETT on 17 October 1798.

 

... of Seacroft Hall and Cliffe Hall, nr. Darlington.

Seacroft Village is of ancient foundation. It is listed in the Domesday Book and has the oldest remaining village green in England but, in fact, has a much older history. The Venerable Bede records the battle of Winwaed between King Oswy's forces and the, unsuccessful, invading Mercians under King Penda. Bede gives this as taking place near Seacroft on the 15th November 655AD. The name (originally Saecroft) is of Saxon origin - sae meaning pool or lake and croft meaning enclosure or farm.

After the Norman invasion, Seacroft (as part of the parish of Whitkirk) was granted to Gilbert de Laci and it remained in the de Laci family until 1602, when James 1st granted it to George Shiletto whence it passed into the ownership of his wife and then to her second husband Sir Ralph Hansby. He sold it to James Nelthorpe of Windsor in 1656.

In 1643 a battle between Royalists for Charles I and a group of Roundheads under Sir Thomas Fairfax, who were en-route from Tadcaster to Leeds, took place at Seacroft. Fairfax was obliged to retreat across Bramham moor.

St James's Church was built in 1845 and the Wilson family, contemporary owners of Seacroft Hall, were major contributors to the cost.

Seacroft Hall itself was thought to have been built by the Shilettos in about 1605. By the 19th century, the Manor of Seacroft was in the hands of the Wilson family. Darcy Bruce Wilson (1851 to 1936) was the the last owner of Seacroft Hall, which became derelict after his death. Though a listed building, it was demolished in 1954 and a High School now occupies its site. All that remains now of the Hall is the Lodge (gatehouse) on York Road, recently used as part of a Council depot but now derelict. The illustration is a photograph of the Hall, taken about 1880, showing the lake which was latterly called the Fish Pond before being drained in the 1950's.

 

Eldest son



There exists from 1840 a draft colliery lease relating to the mines and collieries of coal under the land at Seacroft and Austhorpe. John Wilson and Richard Bassett Wilson his son made this arrangement with Edward Waud of Chester Court, Cheshire. The full details are in archives in Cheshire. The lease was for a reversionary term of 21 years at ?00 per annum for every acre worked with a minimum o f ?200 per annum.

 

There exists from 1840 a draft colliery lease relating to the mines and collieries of coal under the land at Seacroft and Austhorpe. John Wilson and Richard Bassett Wilson his son made this arrangement with Edward Waud of Chester Court, Cheshire. The full details are in archives in Cheshire. John Wilson of Nether Thong is listed as a Woolen Manufacturersin Kirkburton Directory of Trades and Professions for 1834.

 

5. Martha BASSETT, daughter of Richard BASSETT of Glentworth and Martha ARMITAGE, was born in 1776 in Glentworth. She was baptised on 27 September 1776. She died on 18 February 1869. She and John WILSON had the following children:

 

Richard Bassett WILSON (1806-1867). Richard was born on 3 April 1806. He was a Magistrate and Landed Proprietor. He married Anne FITZGERALD on 5 December 1839. He died on 18 February 1867.

2

John WILSON (1808-1891)

Jane Lydia WILSON (1815?-1898). Jane was born in 1815 (estimated). She married William SPOONER on 6 October 1841 in Whitkirk, Co. York. She died on 17 August 1898 in 8 Norham Gardens, Oxford.

 

6. Roderick MACLEOD of Cadboll, co. Ross, MP died on 26 December 1903.

 

Roderick MACLEOD had the following children:

 

3

Anna Maria Isabella MACLEOD ( -1903)