See also

Elizabeth MURRAY (1859-1949)

1. Elizabeth Rushworth MURRAY, daughter of Lieutenant Colonel Douglas Alexander MURRAY (1824-1866) and Mary Ann BELTZHOOVER (1830-aft1880), was born in 1859. She died in 1949. She married Robert A MCLEOD.


Elizabeth and Robert lived in Cleveland, Ohio and upon his passing, Elizabeth lived with her daughter, Katherine Elizabeth Neuman, until her passing in 1949. Elizabeth was "of Carlisle, PA".


Robert A MCLEOD and Elizabeth Rushworth MURRAY had the following children:


Marion MCLEOD (1882-1927). Marion was born on 8 July 1882. She died in 1927.

Catherine Morrison MCLEOD (1883-1983). Catherine was born on 6 December 1883 in Cleveland, Ohio. She died in November 1983.

Second Generation

2. Lieutenant Colonel Douglas Alexander MURRAY, son of Major General James Patrick 2 MURRAY and Elizabeth RUSHWORTH, was born on 2 January 1824 in Killinure House, Westmeath, Ireland. He married Mary Anne MURPHY on 10 November 1848 in St. Louis, Missouri. He married Mary Ann BELTZHOOVER on 8 November 1855 in (First Evangelical Lutheran Church) Carlyle, Pennsylvania. He died on 19 July 1866 in Washington DC. He was buried in Carlyle, Pennsylvania.


From Heitman's "Historical Register and Dictionary of the United States Army" (1886), page 738:
Born in England, appointed an officer from the Army. Served as a private, corporal, and sergeant in Company F, 1st US Artillery from November 23, 1850 to March 23, 1855. Served as a private in Company F, 1st US Artillery and in General Service from October 7, 1856 to October 10, 1861. Appointed Lieutenant Colonel, 3rd Ohio Cavalry on October 10, 1861. resigned this position on June 7, 1863. In the meantime had been appointed a 2nd Lieutenant in the 4th US Cavalry in the regular army on July 17, 1862, but never served with the regiment. He resigned this commission on June 18, 1863.

Born Wickham, England. Age 27, blue eyes, brown hair, ruddy complexion, 5'9" tall. Occupation: clerk. Enlisted in New Orleans, Louisiana by Lieutenant David on November 23, 1850 into Company F, 1st U S Artillery. Discharged at Fort McIntosh, Texas at the expiration of his term of service as a sergeant on November 23, 1855.
Born Farsham (or Farnham) in Wickham, England. Age 33, grey eyes, brown hair, fair complexion, 5'8" tall. Occupation: soldier. Enlisted in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by Lieutenant Bootes on October 7, 1856 into Company F, 1st US Artillery. Discharged on August 7, 1861 upon his re-enlistment, no location or rank listed.
Born Wickham, England. Age 36, grey eyes, brown hair, ruddy complexion, 5'9" tall. Enlisted at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania by Captain Jonas P. Holliday of the 2nd US Cavalry on August 7, 1861 into service at the "Cavalry Depot." Discharged on october 11, 1861 by Special Order 267, Adjutant General's Office, dated October 3, 1861, at carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania as a sergeant.




Douglas joined the U.S. Army and commanded the 3rd Ohio Cavalry.He fought in several battles of the Civil War and was severely wounded, losing his left arm. He received the rank of Lieutenant Colonel on October 10, 1861. He resigned June 7th, 1863, but it is not known whether this was on account of his injuries.



Just previous to the battle of Shiloh, the 3rd. Ohio cavalry, commanded at the time by Lt. Col. Murray, took possession of Lawrenceburgh, Tennessee. The people of the place were understood to be all Secessionists, and the Lt. Col. Ordered his men to search all the houses, arrest all the men, and take possession of all guns and other arms…being careful to protect the women and children from all harm and insult. While this was going on, Col. Murray rode down the street, and while in front of the Masonic Hall, noticed that some of his men had been in the Lodge-room and taken possession of some articles belonging to the Lodge. Immediately ordered them to return every article to its place, and then placed a guard at the door to protect the hall from future violation.

During the Battle of Shiloh, the Third Ohio Cavalry captured a Confederate Surgeon. The Surgeon asked Lieutenant Colonel Murray if he was not the officer who had saved the Masonic Lodge at Lawrenceburgh, TN from being ransacked and was informed that he was. The doctor then told Lieutenant Colonel Murray that it was that fact alone that had saved him from being ambushed. A Confederate Mason who had witnessed his generous act at Lawrenceburgh had recognized him and ordered his men to lower their guns and let him pass.


Battle of the Right Wing - Murray making a "handsome dash"

Rosecrans' Campaign with the Fourteenth Army Corps, Or, the Army of the ...
By William Denison Bickham

The Third Ohio, Lieutenant Colonel D. H. Murray, when the Right broke, also made a handsome dash, and drove the enemy from McCook's ammunition train. Subsequently they charged, saved the train of the Center, drove off the rebels, recaptured a hospital, and captured many prisoners under Colonel Eennett's eye. Two companies of this regiment were rallied by Colonel Eennett, who carried them into action, driving the enemy from the pike, recapturing a gun by a dashing charge, saving a train, and rescuing many of our men. Lieutenant Murray distiaguished himself in this affair. Colonel Kennett himself had a hand to hand encounter with a rebel horseman. The result was doubtful. The rebel had leveled his carbine, the Colonel had his pistol leveled, and both were about to fire, when Farrish, an orderly of Kennett, threw his revolving ,rifie into the scale. The rebel delivered his arms and himself. In the charge of the Third Ohio, Farrish killed two rebels, and Jaggers, another orderly, rode down two gray-jackets, and released two of the Fourth Ohio Cavalry who had surrendered. Colonel Zahn, of the Third Ohio Cavalry, commanding brigade, had been fighting incessantly from the beginning of the disaster up to this period. He was compelled to retire before the rebel infantry, but a charge of rebel cavalry was handsomely repulsed by the First Ohio Cavalry, Colonel Minor Millikin, and the Third Ohio Cavalry. Major A. B. Moore, of the former regiment, fell mortally wounded in this charge. The enemy charged Zahn twice in succession, and were again and again repelled, Zahn now went to the rescue of McCook's ammunition train, which was again in jeopardy. The enemy appeared in heavy force. After a gallant stand by the First, Third, and Fourth Ohio Cavalry, Zahn was compelled to retire, the dashing Colonel Millikin and his Adjutant, Lieutenant Condit, being fatally hurt. Millikin had been surrounded, but by his courage and his prowess with his saber, he cut his way through, and was escaping, when a rebel sharpshooter brought him down. There was no more gallant rider in that field. His sorrowing soldiers bore him to the rear, where he soon breathed his last, lamented by hosts of friends.


Lieutenant-Colonel Third Ohio Cavalry, Commanding.

P. S.--Since writing the above Private Steckel has recognized Lewis Turner, another of the prisoners, also John Peters, as being two that were of the party. Private William Smith, Company C, recognizes one of the prisoners, Fletcher, as being one that fired upon him a few days since; Private Smith is now lying in hospital from wounds received, he states, by his hands.
Respectfully, yours,
Lieutenant-Colonel Third Ohio Cavalry, Commanding.

(Col. J. B. FRY, Chief of Staff, Army of the Ohio.)

HEADQUARTERS THIRD OHIO CAVALRY, In Camp, Woodville, Ala., August 7, 1862.

COLONEL: I have the honor to report for your information that the squadron of the Third Ohio Cavalry that left these headquarters on the morning of the 5th instant on a reconnaissance to the river opposite to Guntersville returned this day at noon.

The officer in command of the squadron reports that the encampment of the enemy has been moved back from the river about 2 miles, and there appears to be a larger force there now than when our troops, accompanied by artillery and infantry, were there. The enemy have dug rifle pits, and have also mounted two pieces of artillery to command the old ferries at that point. The ferry-boats destroyed by our troops are being repaired, and I have heard from good authority will be ready for use this day or to-morrow. It is rumored that they, the enemy, will cross with the intention of destroying the bridges on the railroad as soon as they possibly can. If not too great a liberty, might I suggest that two pieces of artillery may be sent to this point or the bridge near by. I have no doubt if artillery were here and could be spared they would render good service. The country being so miserably adapted for cavalry being as effectual as they otherwise would be on more suitable ground might be obviated by having the assistance of artillery. If artillery cannot be spared, two companies of infantry would, I have no doubt, prevent any damage being done to railroad in our vicinity.
The squadron arrested Mr. Hornbuckle, a noted bushwhacker, who attempted after his arrest to escape, and did succeed in getting off some distance; would have made good his escape but for the steps taken to prevent it.

Very respectfully, I have the honor to be, your obedient servant,
Lieutenant-Colonel Third Ohio Cavalry, Commanding.

(Col. J. B. FRY, Chief of Staff.)

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XX/1 [S# 29]
DECEMBER 26, 1862-JANUARY 5, 1863.--The Stone's River or Murfreesborough, Tenn., Campaign.
No. 178.--Report of Lieut. Col. Douglas A. Murray, Third Ohio Cavalry, including skirmishes at Franklin, December 26-27, and Overall's Creek, December 31.
In Camp near Murfreesborough, Tenn., January 6, 1863.

COLONEL: In compliance with instructions received from your head quarters, I have the honor to report, for your information, the part taken by the Third Ohio Cavalry in the several engagements in which the regiment was engaged since leaving Nashville, Tenn., on December 26 last, on which day we proceeded to Franklin, driving the enemy therefrom and taking possession of the town; took some 10 prisoners. Remaining in town some time, we recrossed the river, and marched across the country to Wilson Creek pike, about 14 miles from Nashville, and encamped, arriving in camp at about 10 p.m.
On the 27th, the Third Battalion of the regiment moved toward Franklin, and found that the enemy had in strong force again taken possession of the town; the battalion drove in their pickets under a heavy fire, killing 3 of them. Seeing that the enemy were in such force, the commander deemed it prudent to retire, and rejoined the regiment, which picketed the roads, &c., in the vicinity of its camp.
On the 28th ultimo, proceeded to Triune and encamped, leaving early next morning across the country toward Murfreesborough, proceeding about 5 miles in that direction, when attacked by the enemy's pickets in force, which we drove, skirmishing, they frequently making a stand, which we each time broke, and still drove them about 5 miles.
The 30th ultimo, ordered to proceed to Stone's River; proceeded but a short distance when attacked by the enemy's pickets; the enemy were in force in our front with artillery. We therefore retired, forming on the high ground in our rear to receive them, their pickets, or patrol, advancing, which we repulsed. In the evening our brigade was re-enforced by one battery of artillery and three regiments of infantry, and proceeded in reconnaissance to the left of the enemy's lines, where we found General Hardee's corps d'armée ready, in line of battle, to receive us. We retired, and encamped in the woods, about 2 miles in front of the enemy's lines.

On the morning of the 31st we formed; shortly after the enemy appeared in large force, both on our left, center, and right, evidently endeavoring to cut us off. The brigade of infantry to our left gave way, retreating in confusion through our lines, letting the whole force of the enemy's artillery, cavalry, and infantry fall upon us, which compelled us gradually to retire toward the main body of our army. The regiment covering the entire rear of the brigade, supporting one infantry regiment on our right, drove back, with heavy loss, a large force of cavalry which charged upon us, under cover of a piece of artillery, firing well-directed shells, which passed over us. The enemy being in such force, we had to retire about three-fourths of a mile, when an aide-de-camp of General McCook rode Up, informing us that the train close by was General McCook's entire ammunition train, which must be saved at all hazards; on intimation of which the regiment was immediately formed for its protection, holding the enemy in check until the entire train, with the exception of a few disabled wagons that could not be moved, was safely withdrawn. The regiment then moved between the enemy and train as far as the Murfreesborough pike, where we found the enemy making a fierce attack upon General Thomas' train, when we again repulsed them at several points, taking many prisoners and saving that entire portion of the train. The attack of the enemy was furious and desperate, which required the greatest firmness and bravery to resist. Colonel Kennett was an eye-witness to the determined bravery of a portion of the regiment rescuing the train from the enemy, which were in force at the hospital on the Murfreesborough pike. The regiment then formed in the field near the hospital, where the brigade soon assembled and reformed, and advanced toward the enemy's left. Soon came up to the enemy's cavalry, supported by artillery, when several other skirmishes ensued during the evening, the enemy's entire object seeming to be to take the train.

On the 1st instant, received orders to proceed to Nashville in charge of train, consisting of some 200 or 300 wagons. When about 2 miles on the Nashville side of La Vergne, we were attacked by General Wheeler's brigade of cavalry, which made several dashes on the train, and were repulsed. They then attacked our rear in force. After a well-contested fight, our regiment put them to flight in disorder, killing 9 of them and wounding several, and arrived in Nashville at 9 p.m. and encamped.

The 2d instant, remained in Nashville and procured forage for our horses, furnishing working party and escort to forage train.
The 3d instant, left Nashville for Murfreesborough in charge of hospital and ammunition trains. Attacked again in force by Wheeler's brigade of cavalry on the Nashville side of La Vergne, which was repulsed with a loss of 15 on their side and some 8 or 9 prisoners taken; among the latter the adjutant of the Third Alabama Cavalry. Two of our non-commissioned officers, I regret to inform you, were severely and dangerously wounded, whom we had to leave in a house on the roadside.
Arrived at camp, near Murfreesborough, at I a.m., 4th instant, with the train all safe, with the exception of one wagon of the regiment that was cut off by the enemy, and is now supposed to have returned to Nashville.

On the evening of the 4th, proceeded with brigade toward Murfreesborough as far as Stone's River, and returned to camp.
On the 5th instant, proceeded again with brigade to Murfreesborough, and beyond it about 4½ miles, where we halted, taking several prisoners, and returning to camp about 7 p.m.

I have much pleasure in informing you that the conduct and behavior of both officers, non-commissioned officers, and privates of the regiment have been highly creditable, with not a single instance to the contrary in the regiment.

Inclosed please find list of casualties that have occurred since December 26, 1862, to January 5, 1863.(*)
I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Lieutenant-Colonel Third Ohio Cavalry, Comdg. Regiment.




Email From DC Caughey: From Heitman's "Historical Register and Dictionary of the United States Army" (1886), page 738:
Born in England, appointed an officer from the Army. Served as a private, corporal, and sergeant in Company F, 1st US Artillery from November 23, 1850 to March 23, 1855. Served as a private in Company F, 1st US Artillery and in General Service from October 7, 1856 to October 10, 1861. Appointed Lieutenant Colonel, 3rd Ohio Cavalry on October 10, 1861. resigned this position on June 7, 1863. In the meantime had been appointed a 2nd Lieutenant in the 4th US Cavalry in the regular army on July 17, 1862, but never served with the regiment. He resigned this commission on June 18, 1863.

I'll forward copies of his enlistment papers for each enlistment from, but here are the highlights:

Born Wickham, England. Age 27, blue eyes, brown hair, ruddy complexion, 5'9" tall. Occupation: clerk. Enlisted in New Orleans, Louisiana by Lieutenant David on November 23, 1850 into Company F, 1st U S Artillery. Discharged at Fort McIntosh, Texas at the expiration of his term of service as a sergeant on November 23, 1855.
Born Farsham (or Farnham) in Wickham, England. Age 33, grey eyes, brown hair, fair complexion, 5'8" tall. Occupation: soldier. Enlisted in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by Lieutenant Bootes on October 7, 1856 into Company F, 1st US Artillery. Discharged on August 7, 1861 upon his re-enlistment, no location or rank listed.
Born Wickham, England. Age 36, grey eyes, brown hair, ruddy complexion, 5'9" tall. Enlisted at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania by Captain Jonas P. Holliday of the 2nd US Cavalry on August 7, 1861 into service at the "Cavalry Depot." Discharged on october 11, 1861 by Special Order 267, Adjutant General's Office, dated October 3, 1861, at carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania as a sergeant.


3. Mary Ann BELTZHOOVER, daughter of Samuel BELTZHOOVER and Susan RHERER, was born on 15 October 1830 in Big Springs. Cumberland Co., PA, USA. She was christened "24/3/1833 or 35" in United Presbyterian Church, Big Spring, Cumberland Co., Pennsylvania. She married John Auguste SIMMS circa 1849 in Gillespie, Texas. She died after 1880.


According to the 1880 census, apparently she was living in "4th Ward,Carlisle, PA" as the Head of Household. Nothing about the children, though.


Douglas Alexander MURRAY and Mary Ann BELTZHOOVER had the following children:


James Patrick MURRAY (1856- ). James was born in 1856.

Catherine Beltzhoover MURRAY (1857- ). Catherine was born in 1857.


Elizabeth Rushworth MURRAY (1859-1949)

Susan Douglas MURRAY (1861- ). Susan was born in 1861.

Third Generation

4. Major General James Patrick 2 MURRAY, son of General Sir James Patrick 1 MURRAY Governor of Canada, Warden of the Cinque Ports, Governor of Hull and Ann WHITHAM, was born on 21 January 1782 in Leghorn. He was a Major-General in the Army. He married Elizabeth RUSHWORTH on 31 January 1803 in Freshwater, Isle of Wight. He died on 5 December 1834 in Killenure House, near Athlone.


James Patrick Murray was the eldest son of the Hon. General James Murray. He was born in Leghorn Italy while his father was Lt. Governor of Minorca. The British Garrison on Minorca was under siege from French and Spanish forces and his mother, the former Ann Witham, was evacuated from the island to safety as she was expecting his imminent birth. Italy was the nearest friendly country.

Cordelia, General James' first wife, had died on 16th June 1779. Quite soon afterwards,1st June 1780, he married Ann Witham, a girl of only 19, who had just lost her father, (Abraham Witham, H.M.Consul to the Island of Majorca). General James Murray was 51 years old at the time. Their first child Cordelia, (JPM's elder sister) was born in Majorca on 16th March 1781.

French and Spanish forces began the siege of Majorca on 17 August 1781 and 2 days afterwards it was decided that Mrs Murray, her baby daughter and two other officers' wives would be evacuated. The account of her escape, as told by her granddaughter in 1877, is as follows: -

"My grandmother and the wives of the officers of his staff made their escape in an open boat in the midst of the night. Through the presence of mind of my grandmother, the boat was enabled to pass through the French and Spanish fleets, she repeating the parole in the Spanish language with calmness and being, like the other ladies, wrapped in a large military cloaks".

Although we know that General Murray did manage to maintain some sort of communication with Leghorn, Ann must have been a pretty cool young lady if, with the baby girl in her arms and another child on the way, she managed all this and a 500 miles sea journey from Minorca to Leghorn in an open sailing boat.

According to Lady O'Donnel's account "soon after they landed at Leghorn, she was taken ill and when the little boy was born he was apparently dead, but his mother entreated that he should immediately be put into a warm bath. She had dreamt that he was born dead and that thus, through the mercy of God, he was restored to life".

It seems that after they arrived in Leghorn they moved in fairly high class circles. JPM's godfather was the Grand Duke of Tuscany who was the son of the Emperor Francis I and Maria Theresa, and the brother of Marie Antoinette. The Grand Duke himself became Holy Roman Emperor as Leopold II in 1790.

JPM was probably brought up at Beauport, his father's estate in Sussex, but there is no record of his schooling. His father died when he was only 12 years old in 1794. On Gen. James's death, part of the Beauport Estate reverted to the Collier family and part sold to provide for his widow and daughters. Like his father JPM was destined for an army career and at the age of 14, in 1796, he was commissioned Ensign in the 44th Regiment .

In 1797 he was promoted lieutenant and was employed on regimental duty until 17th May 1780. He was then appointed ADC (Aide de Camp) to General George Don (Maria Murray's husband) with whom he served until June 1799. He then joined his relation Lieutenant General Sir James Pulteney Murray and served as his ADC during the campaign in North Holland.

The French had invaded and overrun Holland, renaming it the Republic of Batavia. It was in this war that the Dutch fleet, lying frozen in the Zuider See, was captured by French cavalry. In 1799, Pitt decided that unless Britain made some gesture and opened up a second front, the Austrians would make a separate peace with France. He therefore made a pact with Russia that a joint expedition should be launched against the low countries, Britain to supply 30,000 troops and Russia 16,000. To ensure success the Grand Old Duke of York was made commander in chief and his three divisional commanders were Abercrombie, Pulteney and Dundas. In spite of an unfavourable report by Abercrombie, it was decided that the expedition should land in the Helder area and drive south to Amsterdam. Landing in the Helder was not very difficult, but the Russian contingent soon proved unreliable and the British got bogged down amongst the dykes and canals. So an armistice was arranged whereby both sides agreed to exchange prisoners and Britain evacuated her army.

Although, as a lieutenant, JPM cannot have played in important part in this campaign he certainly took part in several actions and according to reports, General Pulteney enhanced his reputation by the resource and skill which he displayed. JPM saw active service on the 27th August, the 10th & 19th of September, and the 2nd & 6th October 1799. Clearly he did quite well as he was appointed Commanding Officer of a company in the 9th Regiment on the 26th December 1799.

The following year Pitt decided to send an expedition to Ferrol in northern Spain. Raids such as these had earlier been described as ' breaking windows with guineas. General Pulteney was put in command and landed on the 25th August 1800. On the next day General Pulteney, having surveyed the fortress, held a staff conference and advised that it was far too strong to be assaulted with any chance of success, so he re-embarked his men. For his conduct he was the subject of a motion of censure in the House of Commons, in which Pitt spoke against him, but to which he replied vigorously and was finally exonerated. Murray had again accompanied him on this abortive expedition as his ADC.

At the Peace of Amiens in 1802 JPM was placed on half pay .
It was about this time that he went to the Isle of Wight . Why he gave up his military career at this point is a little bit of a mystery. When the Peace of Amiens was signed in 1802 he was aged 20, had already had some six years military service and must have decided to abandon a military career and take up politics. He may have become disenchanted with the idea of a military career , having seen unsuccessful commanders arraigned before Parliament or courts martial for lack of success. Austria had made peace with France, Napoleon had won the battles of Marengo and Hohenlinden, the war had reached a stalemate and people had begun to get war weary . Perhaps there was a vacant parliamentary seat going cheap at Yarmouth. Perhaps Edward Rushworth fixed him up, encouraged marriage to his daughter Elizabeth and even gave her some land at Farringford Hill for the couple to build themselves a home. In any case he married Elizabeth Rushworth, the daughter of Edward Rushworth and granddaughter of Lord Holmes, and entered Parliament as MP for Yarmouth on the 8th July 1882 at a general election. His parliamentary career was extremely brief, however, for on the 25th February 1803 someone else was returned in his place. He had resigned his seat accepting the motion to assume the office of Steward of the manor of East Hendred. Between his election and his resignation the House only sat in the period 16th November to 29th December 1802 and from the 3rd February 1803. He was thus effectively a member for little more than seven weeks.

However war broke out almost immediately and JPM went off to the newly founded Royal Military College at High Wycombe (later moved to Sandhurst) and on 18th May 1803 was gazetted to a company in the 66th Foot (the Royal Berkshire Regiment). During the next six years the regiment were on garrison duty in Ireland and their various moves may be followed in the history of the Berkshire Regiment. In spite of the fact that the Act of Union had just been passed and that St Patrick's cross had been added to the Union Jack, that country was still unsettled. A few years earlier there had been two French landings and the National rising had been defeated at the battles of the New Ross and Vinegar Hill. Pitt tried to include Catholic emancipation as part of the terms of the Union, but George III had refused to sanction such a clause (which might later have saved much unrest and bloodshed) because he considered it contrary to his coronation oath.

While stationed in Ireland the Murrays had three children who survived, a daughter and two sons. They were privately baptised in Ireland and each later publicly christened at Freshwater Church in the Isle of Wight - so they moved fairly often between Ireland and England.

Whilst in Ireland the regiment had been alerted that they might be sent abroad and there was speculation as to whether it would be to the East Indies, to South America or Ceuta (see the letters sent by JPM to his wife during this period - they are rather sad in that Elizabeth was unable to see her husband despite being in (a different part of) Ireland herself at the time, very heavily pregnant and with no idea where JPM would be sent next or when she would next be able to see him; the situation was even more poignant in hindsight as he would shortly sustain the injury which altered the course of his whole career). Actually they landed in Portugal in April, about the same time as Arthur Wellesley and on the 12th May 1809 they played an important part in the passage of the river Douro (see separate account of this).

Marshall Sault had entrenched himself on the north bank of a broad river in the town of Oporto and had kept a strong reinforcements on his right wing for fear Wellesley might attempt a landing by sea in his rear. Wellesley found some unguarded wine barges and a scuttled ferry boat upstream and, round a bend of the river, out of sight of the French, pushed over 30 men of the Buffs, who immediately occupied a convent. The Berkshire Regiment under Murray were then sent over to reinforce them. During this diversion the townsfolk in Oporto started to riot at and the Worcesters and the Guards crossed the river. The French retreated in confusion leaving behind their artillery and stores.

It was during the fierce fighting to retake the convent that JPM received the severe wound which ever after impaired his health and deprived him of the use of his right arm. According to his daughter, "his right elbow was shattered in the battle, the arm was on the point of being amputated, when Sir Arthur Wellesley came into the hospital and stopped the operation. However the arm was always useless". According to the official records of the Berkshire Regiment in the glorious fight at the seminary the 66th lost Major Murray and Captain Benning, both seriously wounded. The brigade was thanked on the spot by the Commander in Chief himself. In 1814 the Regiment received the battle honour 'Douro' for this action.

On the 25th May 1809 JPM was promoted Lieutenant-Colonel and subsequently employed in the Quarter Master General's Department in Ireland. On the 2nd November 1809 he was appointed Lieutenant-Colonel of the 5th garrison Battalion. From 1811 to 1819 he was assistant Adjutant General in Ireland and stationed at Athlone and on the 12th August 1819 he received the brevity of Colonel .On the 22 July 1830, he was promoted to Major-General, and was created a Companion of the Bath on the first creation of that class of order.

He died in Ireland at his home Killenure House, near Athlone after a few days' illness, in his 53rd year "greatly lamented by his family, and sincerely regretted by his relatives and friends " . An Irish newspaper describes the accident leading to his death as follows: "....the circumstances attendant upon the death of General Murray are rather of a tragic nature and afford a convincing proof of the finest feelings of human nature and the most humane and sympathetic dispositions are merely allied to or associated with courage and native bravery. He caught cold from his exertions in endeavouring to recover the bodies of two fellow officers who met with a watery grave on their way back to their barracks from his house".

JPM and Elizabeth had six sons and six daughters.

Elizabeth Murray, nee Rushworth, survived until 15th November 1865, when she died at Rossanna House, and was buried in Benowen churchyard. She was descended from two important families in the Isle of Wight. Records of the members of Parliament for Yarmouth, which was a pocket borough, show that you had either to be a Holmes, a Rushworth or a Jervoise! Elizabeth's mother Catherine, born in 1725, was the daughter of the 2nd Lord Holmes, whose family name was Troughear. The story starts with a gentleman who began life under the name of the Reverend Leonard Troughear. By 1763 this fellow was thoroughly involved in local politics and borough-mongering as Sir Leonard Troughear Worsley Holmes (having taken his mother's maiden name). In 1797 he became Lord Kilmalloch in the county of Limerick and he died in 1804. When his daughter Catherine (1765 - 1829) married Edward Rushworth at the tender age of 15 he gave her some land in the neighbourhood of Freshwater. Thereafter Edward Rushworth seems to have been described as ''of Freshwater House'' (this was possibly on the site of what is now described as Manor Farm). In 1790 Edward Rushworth added to his property by purchasing various fields from a Mr William Bowman of Brook, a neighbouring hamlet not far from Farringford .

It seems that when Elizabeth Rushworth married JPM they were given land on which to build a house by her father Edward Rushworth. This house was called Farringford Hill. When JPM went to Ireland with his regiment they clearly left some bills behind, possibly for completing the house. Edward Rushworth wrote to Thomas Sewell of Newport, Isle of Wight, as follows: "I am greatly hurt by receipt of your letter respecting the taxation of costs. I have repeatedly written to Murray on the subject and his answers were not at all satisfactory. I shall again write to Col. Murray and press the subject very warmly, adding that if he does not think proper to pay the costs, I shall make the satisfaction from my own purse, which has already undergone privations". The story is confirmed by Lizzie Harvey ( JPM's granddaughter) who stated in a letter that her grandfather began building Farringford "which was considered very foolish of him owing to his financial circumstances". She maintained that Elizabeth's father took the building off his hands and finished it. She also believed they had a lawsuit. Farringford Hill was sold on Edward Rushworth's death to a family called Middleton, who probably later sold it to Alfred, Lord Tennyson. Lord Tennyson later extended the house and renamed it Farringford House .


It is unlikely that James Patrick Murray took part in the festivities following the armiy's success at Douro. His arm had been completely shattered. In fact, it was on the point of being amputated when the Duke of Wellington interceded and demanded the arm be saved. However, it was thenceforth completely useless, and Murray always had to carry it in a sling, as the portraits of him by Sir George Don show.

Some of Murray's letters to his wife Elizabeth, who was from a well-known family in the Isle of Wight, survive. They date from just before and just after the passage of the Douro, and acquire a particular poignancy given the injuries that were inflicted on Murray in that battle: immediately before the regiment was sent to Portugal, Murray had no idea where or when they would next be sent. Elizabeth ("Betsy") was then staying fifty or so miles away in Limerick, and is most anxious to see her husband. He replies with great affection, but rejects the possibility as impractical, since she might arrive, after a substantial journey, only to find that the regiment has just left or is about to leave; then, they would be in a worse situation than now, he says. The letters give a lot of detail about the speculation which was rife in the regiment about where they will next be posted, and give an insight into how insecure the world of a military officer was, especially in those days of colonial expansion, where the army was deployed all over the world - for example: "...your surmise respecting the battalion on a draft going to the West Indies is not correct, as you will see in the letter which I wrote to you yesterday, that we do not pack our heavy baggage, we are to go in the lightest possible order and camp equipage is to be delivered to us today; I am convinced we are going either to Cadiz or Cueta - General Sherbrooke's expedition is driven into Cork entirely and an officer of the 88th, Mr McCarthy, who belongs to it, came on shore this morning to see his brother, who is in this regiment. He says that the orders were yesterday that we are to join that expedition...", and so it goes on. Then, a few days later: "I have nothing new since last night, we are all in the same uncertainty, the report is now that we are not to join Shellbrooke's expedition, but that they are to sail immediately and that we are to go as was first mentioned under Beresford, one report is to Cueta, and the other is to South America, the former destination I believe to be the true one, as if we were destined for South America we should receive more than two months pay in advance...."

Clearly, though, the couple are very much in love and missing each other. It is particularly touching that they are so close, relatively, and yet unable to be together, considering that he is to get a posting abroad in the near future. Murray's letters finish with real outpourings of feeling: "I must now, my ever dearest Betsy, conclude. God Almighty bless, preserve and protect you, my dear Catherine, James and little Pulteney, and kiss them all a thousand thousand times for me and believe me to be ever your most sincerely and truly affectionate husband". Sometimes he refers to his second son as "pretty Pulteney": it is interesting to note that, unlike his father and grandfather, and unlike his son and grandson, "pretty Pulteney" did not have a successful career in the army: maybe he was a little too pampered.

On the subject of James Patrick's 12 children, it is extraordinary that he got the time and opportunity to be so fecund, given the amount of time he spent away from home!

James Patrick's last surviving letter is after Douro, when he was still suffering badly from his shattered arm. The letter in full goes: "Thank God I am safely arrived in the Island - I landed at Ryde this morning and have suffered so much both in the boat and the hack chaise, that I find it impossible to come on to Farringford this afternoon- so much as I wish it. I beg therefore you will request Mr Rushworth to let you have the carriage to come over and we will return with you tomorrow. Do pray come - Sir H. and Lady Holmes are both extremely kind and request you will come - I cannot write more; God bless you all, remember me most affectionately to Mr and Mrs Rushworth and all, and believe me...".


Obituary in the Gentleman's Magazine June 1835
Dec. 5. At Killeneure, near Athlone,
In his 53d year, Major-General James
Patrick Murray, C.B.

This gallant officer was the only son of General time Hon. James Murray, (fifth Son of Alexander fourth Lord Elibank,) distinguished by his persevering defence of Minorca in the years 1781.82. It was at that period that the subject of this notice was born, on the 21st Jan. 1782, at Leghorn, to which city his mother had retired from the siege. She was Anne daughter of Abraham Whitham, esq. the British Consul-general at Majorca. He was educated at Westminster School; and, having determined to follow his father's profession, obtained an Ensigncy in the 44th regiment in 1796, and in the following year was promoted to a Lieutenancy in the same corps. In May 1798 he was appointed Aid-de-camp to General Don, with whom he continued in the Isle of Wight until June 1799; when he joined his relation and guardian Lt.Gen. Sir James Pulteney, and served as Aid-de-camp to that officer during the campaign in North Holland. He was present in the actions of 27 August, 10 and 18th Sept. 2nd and 6th Oct. and was in one of them slightly wounded. On Dec. 26, 1799, he was gazetted to a company, by purchase, In the 9th foot. He next accompanied Sir James Pulteney to the Ferrol, and was intrusted, by both the General and the Admiral in that expedition, with some important and confidential transactions. At the general election of 1802 he was returned to Parliament as one of the Members for Yarmouth in the Isle of Wight; but vacated his seat in the following March. At the peace of Amiens he was placed on half pay; and after studying for some time at the Royal Military Academy, was re-appointed to half pay in the 66th foot. In 1803 he espoused the amiable object of a long attachment, Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Edward Rushworth, esq. of Freshwater House, Isle of Wight, and granddaughter of the late Lord Holmes, by whom he has left twelve children. In Feb. 1804, he obtained by purchase, a Majority in the 66th, with which he was stationed in several parts of Ireland; and subsequently was appointed to the staff of that country as Assistant Quartermaster-genera1 at Limerick, which situation he relinquished in order to accompany his regiment on foreign service. With the same regiment he also served in Portugal; where, at the passage of the Douro, he received a severe musket wound, which not only completely shattered and deprived him of the use of his right arm, but ever after impaired his general health. His gallant conduct, on this occasion, is honourably recorded in the public despatch of Sir Arthur Wellesley, who, shortly after he had received the shot, came up to him on the field, and, taking him by the hand, said, -" Murray, you and your men have behaved like lions; I shall never forget you". On the 25th May 1809, Major Murray was promoted to the rank of Lieut. - Colonel; and on his return home, he was employed in the Quartermaster-general's department in Ireland. From 1811 to 1819 he was Assistant Adjutant-general, stationed at Athlone. In 1819 he received the brevet of Colonel, and in 1830 that of Major General.

His death was occasioned by a cold caught in his humane exertions to save the lives of two young officers, who were drowned in the lake in front of his residence (see p. 220). He possessed an accomplished and a benevolent heart; and was characterized by the highest honour, integrity, and worth.

P220 - Drowned by the upsetting of a boat on the Upper Shannon, near Athione, Ensigns James R. Byers and Win. J. Kerr, (see p. 110), both of 1st regt.


5. Elizabeth RUSHWORTH, daughter of Edward RUSHWORTH and Hon. Catharine HOLMES, was born on 15 October 1783. She died on 15 November 1865 in Benowen, Ireland.


Elizabeth Rushworth had two sisters Mary, Lady Dalrymple and Miss Jane Rushworth. Many sketches by Jane survive in an old scrap book. Lady Dalrymple in her lonely widowhood begged her niece and goddaughter Mary Joanna Harvey (nee Murray) to make her home with them at Purbrook Heath house. A copy of her letter headed 'Memorial to William and Johanna' is in the family records. ' She remained there for 9 years until her death in 1865. Apparently she was a very cultivated lady who was widely travelled having accompanied her husband on trips to Italy and Spain while he was in the Army. The portrait of her husband Sir John Dalrymple came from Purbrook and remains in the family. Mary Dalrymple must have spent the first years of her married life in Edinburgh as she compiled a " Compendium of the most useful and approved recipes in the most laudable art of cookery" which has also survived and is signed by her "Mary Dalrymple, January 1808, Edinburgh."

Sir John Pringle Dalrymple Bt. Was the second son of John D. a merchant and Lord Provost of Edinburgh, and of Ann Pringle. He was born 1778. He had a distinguished military career and became a Maj. General. He succeeded to the Baronetcy on the death of his elder brother, James in 1800. On his retirement he settled at Lymington in Hants and died in 1829.

Elizabeth was born about twenty mintures past seven am. Her sponsors were captain Christian, Mrs. Holmes and Mrs. Worsley (her aunt).


James Patrick 2 MURRAY and Elizabeth RUSHWORTH had the following children:


Catherine Anne MURRAY (1804-1895). Catherine was born on 21 September 1804 in Banagher, Ireland. She was baptised in Freshwater Church. She married Charles Routledge O'DONNELL on 4 September 1846. She died on 26 February 1895 in Kingstown, Ireland.

James Edward Ferguson MURRAY (1806-1834). James was born on 19 April 1806 in Clonmell, Tipperary, Ireland. He was a Lieutenant in the Navy. He married Katherine Jane SLAUGHTER on 15 December 1830 in Sandwich, Kent, England. He died on 17 July 1834 in Athlone, Ireland.

Pulteney MURRAY (1807-1875). Pulteney was born on 9 July 1807 in Galway, Ireland. He was born in 1807 in Perth. He was baptised on 20 December 1809 in Freshwater Church. He was a Major in the Army + Sub Inspector of the Royal Irish Constabulary. He had 1 child. He married Jane MACKENNY on 23 May 1848. He died on 20 September 1875 in Galway.

Harriet Elizabeth MURRAY (1809-1882). Harriet was born on 6 April 1809 in Co. Cork, Ireland. She was baptised on 20 December 1809 in Freshwater Church. She married Henry HODGES on 14 July 1834 in Benowen. She died on 29 June 1882.

Mary Johanna MURRAY (1810-1875). Mary was born on 5 January 1810 in Merrion, Dublin. She married Andrew NEWTON on 14 July 1834 in Benowen. She married William Francis HARVEY on 13 February 1849. She died on 31 March 1875 in Purbrook.

Jane Susan MURRAY (1810-1841). Jane was born on 13 October 1810 in Athlone. She died on 3 August 1841 in Benowen.

Charles MURRAY (1814-1848). Charles was born on 30 December 1814 in Athlone. He was a Soldier. He married Anne Mitchell SCOTT on 12 October 1844. He died on 6 April 1848 in West Indies.

Elizabeth MURRAY (1817-1904). Elizabeth was born on 6 February 1817 in Athlone. She died on 10 December 1904.

Henry Patrick MURRAY (1819-1855). Henry was born on 19 February 1819 in Athlone. He died on 29 June 1855 in Benowen.

Cordelia Maria MURRAY (1822-1909). Cordelia was born on 27 February 1822 in Westmeath, Ireland. She married Charles TROLLOPPE on 30 March 1864 in St. George, Hanover Square. She married Edmond BOWER in 1892. She died on 3 December 1909.


Douglas Alexander MURRAY (1824-1866)

George Don MURRAY (1826-1857). George was born on 10 March 1826 in Westmeath. He was a Sailor. He died on 12 August 1857 in Athlone.


6. Samuel BELTZHOOVER was born in 1803 in Pennsylvania. He died circa 1836. He married Susan RHERER.


Samuel was the 4th generation Beltzhoover in the USA.


7. Susan RHERER was born in 1812 in Pennsylvania. She died in 1885. She married Isaac RINGWALD. She and Samuel BELTZHOOVER had the following children:



Mary Ann BELTZHOOVER (1830-aft1880)