See also

John WILSON (1767- )

1. John WILSON, son of John WILSON (bap.1730, d.1821) and Sarah LUCAS ( -1817), was born on 24 February 1767. He appeared in the census. He celebrated his Bar Mitzvah. He married Martha BASSETT on 17 October 1798.

 

... of Seacroft Hall and Cliffe Hall, nr. Darlington.

Seacroft Village is of ancient foundation. It is listed in the Domesday Book and has the oldest remaining village green in England but, in fact, has a much older history. The Venerable Bede records the battle of Winwaed between King Oswy's forces and the, unsuccessful, invading Mercians under King Penda. Bede gives this as taking place near Seacroft on the 15th November 655AD. The name (originally Saecroft) is of Saxon origin - sae meaning pool or lake and croft meaning enclosure or farm.

After the Norman invasion, Seacroft (as part of the parish of Whitkirk) was granted to Gilbert de Laci and it remained in the de Laci family until 1602, when James 1st granted it to George Shiletto whence it passed into the ownership of his wife and then to her second husband Sir Ralph Hansby. He sold it to James Nelthorpe of Windsor in 1656.

In 1643 a battle between Royalists for Charles I and a group of Roundheads under Sir Thomas Fairfax, who were en-route from Tadcaster to Leeds, took place at Seacroft. Fairfax was obliged to retreat across Bramham moor.

St James's Church was built in 1845 and the Wilson family, contemporary owners of Seacroft Hall, were major contributors to the cost.

Seacroft Hall itself was thought to have been built by the Shilettos in about 1605. By the 19th century, the Manor of Seacroft was in the hands of the Wilson family. Darcy Bruce Wilson (1851 to 1936) was the the last owner of Seacroft Hall, which became derelict after his death. Though a listed building, it was demolished in 1954 and a High School now occupies its site. All that remains now of the Hall is the Lodge (gatehouse) on York Road, recently used as part of a Council depot but now derelict. The illustration is a photograph of the Hall, taken about 1880, showing the lake which was latterly called the Fish Pond before being drained in the 1950's.

 

Eldest son



There exists from 1840 a draft colliery lease relating to the mines and collieries of coal under the land at Seacroft and Austhorpe. John Wilson and Richard Bassett Wilson his son made this arrangement with Edward Waud of Chester Court, Cheshire. The full details are in archives in Cheshire. The lease was for a reversionary term of 21 years at ?00 per annum for every acre worked with a minimum o f ?200 per annum.

 

There exists from 1840 a draft colliery lease relating to the mines and collieries of coal under the land at Seacroft and Austhorpe. John Wilson and Richard Bassett Wilson his son made this arrangement with Edward Waud of Chester Court, Cheshire. The full details are in archives in Cheshire. John Wilson of Nether Thong is listed as a Woolen Manufacturersin Kirkburton Directory of Trades and Professions for 1834.

 

Martha BASSETT and John WILSON had the following children:

 

Richard Bassett WILSON (1806-1867). Richard was born on 3 April 1806. He was a Magistrate and Landed Proprietor. He married Anne FITZGERALD on 5 December 1839. He died on 18 February 1867.

John WILSON (1808-1891). John was born on 1 January 1808. He married Anna Maria Isabella MACLEOD on 13 April 1846. He died on 29 January 1891.

Jane Lydia WILSON (1815?-1898). Jane was born in 1815 (estimated). She married William SPOONER on 6 October 1841 in Whitkirk, Co. York. She died on 17 August 1898 in 8 Norham Gardens, Oxford.

Second Generation

2. John WILSON, son of Joshua WILSON of Holmfirth and Mary UNK, was baptised on [Julian] 30 January 1730. He was a He was in the linen trade. John Wilson bought the Seacroft Estate, which remained in the family for some generations after. He married Sarah LUCAS on 21 December 1761. He died on 24 April 1821.

 

... of Camp Hall, Water Lane, Leeds.

 

3. Sarah LUCAS, daughter of Richard LUCAS, died on 7 June 1817. She and John WILSON had the following children:

 

1

John WILSON (1767- )

Richard WILSON ( -1814). Richard died on 30 July 1814.

Lydia WILSON ( -1838). Lydia died on 26 January 1838.

Third Generation

4. Joshua WILSON of Holmfirth, son of John WILSON of Nether Thonge and Mary BATTY, was baptised on 11 October 1683. He appeared in the census. He was an Involved in the Woollen Cloth Trade. He married Martha HAIGH on 23 November 1729. He died on 26 October 1768. He married Mary UNK.

 

"HOLMFIRTH, a chapelry and town, partly in the parish of Almondbury, but chiefly in that of Kirkburton, wapentake of Upper Agbrigg, West Riding county York, 6 miles S. of Huddersfield. It is a station on the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway. It is a large manufacturing village, and polling place for the West Riding, situated in a vale watered by the river Holm, over which are two stone bridges, and sheltered by lofty hills. The town, which is of modern growth, is irregularly built, but is well paved and lighted. The inhabitants are principally engaged in the manufacture of woollen cloth, for which the numerous springs of clear soft water in the vicinity render it particularly well adapted. The machinery of the mills is impelled by the powerful streams which descend from the hills, and by water collected in three reservoirs formed at the cost of £30,000. Many of the inhabitants are also engaged in the extensive collieries, and some in business at Huddersfield. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Kirkburton. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Roman Catholics, and Baptists, and several schools. Fairs are held on the Saturday following 27th March, and 28th October, and before Old May Day.".

 

5. Mary UNK has few details recorded about her. She and Joshua WILSON had the following children:

 

2

John WILSON (bap.1730, d.1821)

 

6. Richard LUCAS has few details recorded about him.

 

Richard LUCAS had the following children:

 

3

Sarah LUCAS ( -1817)